Photonis Defense Surface Processing and Plating Services is your ideal partner for specialty plating services. We provide a wide range of plating for metal and ceramic parts, specialized coatings, and house one of the east coast’s largest plating tanks, making no job too big…or too small. Our fully-automated, state-of-the-art facility, backed by years of plating and brazing experience, puts your project in good hands.
Photonis Defense, Inc. has over 70 years of experience in manufacturing high reliability vacuum devices requiring extraordinary levels of cleanliness, demanding specialty coatings for various metal and ceramic components and difficult joining of metals and ceramics. Our state-of-the-art facility, backed by years of plating and brazing expertise is now available for your applications in industries such as telecommunications, electronics, defense, and automotive. While we specialize in quick-turn-around low, low volume, and custom jobs, we can also handle high volumes using our fully-automated facility. We can even source components for you and deliver completed sub-assemblies ready for your final processes.
Quality control is an integral part of the Photonis cleaning, plating, and brazing operation. With an ISO 001:2008 Certified Quality Management System, Photonis offers a wide range of brazing and plating technologies controlled by computer-operated schedules. Using sophisticated X-ray fluorescent and Dermitron thickness measurement equipment, we can assure uniform application and lasting quality. All equipment calibrations conform to ISO 10012-1.
If you have a question regarding our surface processing or plating service capabilities, including types of deposits/clases, our brazing capabilities, or finishing services, please contact for more details.
Joining and assembly
The experienced staff at Photonis Defense can provide a number of specialty joining and assembly services, including fixture design, brazing, metalizing and welding.
- Metal-to-metal & ceramic-to-metal assembly design
- Fixturing design
- Metal-to-metal brazing – vacuum and commercial grade
- Ceramic-to-metal brazing – vacuum and commercial grade
- Oxyacetylene torch brazing
- Silver alloy brazing media
- Ceramic metalizing
- Vacuum leak checking
Photonis offers a wide range of plating processes, with the capability to effectively plate large
components as well as small.
Chemical Film - AlodineTM
(Film conversion for Aluminium)
Class 1A and
Oxidation resistant coating, paintable
|Copper||Usually used as an under-plate for other deposits|
Type II - Grade C and
Type III - Grade A
|Nickel - Watts||
Class I - Matte, semi-bright and
Class II - Engineering plating
Nickel - Electroless
- Med. & high phosphorus
Class I - As plated and
Class II - Heat treated
|Passivation||Type II and VI|
|Platinium||Very oxidation resistant; excellent electrical conductor|
Type I - Over Ni, Ag, Au, P and
Type II - Over other metals
Type I - Matte and
Grade B without chromate treatment
|Tin - Dull||Type I - Electrodeposited, solderable|
Specialized surface treatments
Our state-of-the-art facility provides a wide range of specialized surface treatments, including Bright Dip, cleaning processes, polishing and other processes.
- Electro-polishing: 300 & 400 series stainless
- Kovar Bright Dip: a uniform etchant for cleaning and brightening Kovar
- Copper Bright Dip: an excellent surface preparation for copper, prior to further operations
- Stainless Steel Bright Dip: cleans and brightens as well as passivates
- Glass Bead and Borosilicate Sand Blasting
- Automated degreasing and ultrasonics wash line
- Specialized cleaning processes
- Firing in air, vacuum and hydrogen (wet and dry) atmospheres
- Stress relieving, annealing and bright heat treating of stainless steel
- Certified hardness and tensile strength testing